“Dean W.”:http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2005/01/mac-mini-prices#cid1640 is asking us to take sales taxes (VAT) into account when reviewing the prices of the “Mac mini”:http://apple.com/macmini.
I have done just that, and calculated a new base price. The new base price is:
The US base price, USD 499 + Apple's higher margin + Any taxes added due to Apple's higher margins for foreign countries = Adjusted price
h3. For Norway:
* The VAT/sales tax in Norway is 25%.
* Norwegian price, excluding VAT: NOK 3592 = USD 590.
* Difference = USD 91.
* Apple-added tax USD 24.
* Adjusted base price = *USD 614*
h3. for the UK:
* VAT: 17.5%
* UK price, excluding VAT: GBP 288.5 = USD 554.
* Difference: USD 55.
* Apple-added tax: USD 10
* Adjusted base price = *USD 564*
I am pretty sure that no sane US citizen would pay $614 for the Mac mini. Robert X. Cringely is arguing that the Mac mini price “should really be $249”:http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050107.html
h3. Optional add-ons
Apple’s unfair treatment of international customers extends further. Let’s review the “base prices” for the add-ons. (Norway only, I’m pretty confident that this is similar for other countries). All figures are USD.
h4. 512MB memory upgrade
* US price, excl. taxes: $75
* Norwegian price, excl. VAT: $84.2
* Price difference: $9.2
* Apple-added tax: $2.3
* Adjusted base price: $86.5
h4. SuperDrive option
* US price, excl. taxes: $100
* Norwegian price, excl. VAT: $113.1
* Price difference: $13.1
* Apple-added tax: $3.3
* Adjusted base price: $116.4
h4. Internal Bluetooth+AirPort Extreme
* US price, excl. taxes: $129
* Norwegian price, excl. VAT: $170.8
* Price difference: $41.8
* Apple-added tax: $10.5
* Adjusted base price: $181.3
h4. Wireless Keyboard+Mouse
* US price, excl. taxes: $99
* Norwegian price, excl. VAT: $111.4
* Price difference: $12.4
* Apple-added tax: $3.1
* Adjusted base price: $114.5
h3. High-end Mac mini?
So, if I live in Norway, and want to buy a higher-end Mac mini, how much will I pay? Let’s add up the options listed to the $599 Mac mini, and see what happens:
* US price, excl. taxes: $1002
* Norwegian price, excl. VAT: $1156.3
* Price difference: $154.3
* Apple-added tax: $38.6
* Adjusted base price: $1194.9
The actual, VAT included price in Norway for the $599 Mac mini configured with the options listed is *$1445.40.* You could buy a small country for that price..
h3. Related reading
* “Sign the petition for fair Mac mini pricing”:http://www.petitiononline.com/MacmiEU/petition.html
* “Apple fans up in arms over ‘unfair’ Mac mini pricing”:http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39127106,00.htm
* “European Mac fans call Mac Mini pricing unfair”:http://news.com.com/European+Mac+fans+call+Mac+Mini+pricing+unfair/2100-1041_3-5539290.html
* “Linkblog entry”:http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2005/01/european_mac_fans_call_mac_mini_pricing_unfair
* “The not-so-cheap Mac mini”:http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2005/01/mac-mini-prices