I am currently considering changing my hosting., for a couple of reasons:
# I currently am stuck with a total of 150MB storage and a bandwith limit of 10GB/Month.
# My provider’s security record is “not perfect”:http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2004/02/msie-is-the-problem
# I have only one MySQL database
# The price is “not right” — I’m paying around $40/month for the two domains I’m hosting with them now.
# I have to pay extra for each and every subdomain
So far, I have only really looked at “DreamHost”:http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?arvebe and “PowWeb”:http://www.powweb.com/ as they both seem to offer generous diskspace and bandwith limits for a fair price. Some of the factors that are important to me are:
* I prefer a clear bandwith use policy over “unlimited” bandwith. “Unlimited bandwith” is never unlimited. The bandwith cap needs to be generous, though.
* Diskspace. As I’ve stated, my current plan is insufficient. DreamHost offers 2,5GB at the time of writing, and PowWeb offers 2GB.
* SSH access.
* Access to raw log files – both the error and access logs.
* Perl/PHP. Preferrably I’d also like to be able to compile PHP5.
* Access to procmail.
* IMAP, POP3 and Webmail. As nifty as GMail may be, I have mailboxes I can’t forward to GMail.
* Customer Care. There is nothing worse than having to wait days when you need something fixed _now._
* Currently, my MT installation and PHP scripts writes all my files as “nobody”, and my SSH user has no rights to these files. Deleting these files is a royal pain, and my SSH user _needs_ to be able to manipulate files written by any web process.
* WebDAV is definetly a plus, but not a must.
* CVS or SVN is a plus, but not a must. I don’t need anonymous CVS/SVN access or web access.
* I _need to_ run Cron jobs.
* Pricing: Dreamhost is currently asking $15.95/month for their “Code Monster Plan”:http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?arvebe/shared/comparison.html if I opt for the two-year pre-payment. Something in that price range would be nice.
So, what I’d like to know is this:
* Are there any particular reasons I should _not_ go with either of the two alternatives I’ve found so far?
* Are there any other alternatives I should be looking into.
* If you have experience with both DreamHost and PowWeb: Which are you more satisifed with?
*Update:* PowWeb, not offering SSH access is a major no-go for me. I have scripts I need to run from the shell. (I also need crontab access, btw)